If you have ever wanted to customize the operating system or remove specific system apps on your Android device, then installing a custom ROM is the trick you need. Here is how to install a custom ROM on your Android device.
There are 3 main steps to installing the custom ROM:
- Get Root Access
- Create a Custom Recovery Image
- Install the Custom ROM
Get Root Access
Root access is necessary, if you want the access to install a custom ROM. Root access allows you access to the root systems on the Android device.
Create a Custom Recovery Image
The recovery image is a simple partition on the Android device set aside as a recovery, if the main OS ever crashes. Once you have root access, you will have the ability to install a custom recovery image.
- Go to the App market.
- Download & install the ROM Manager app.
- Choose Flash ClockworkMod Recovery and your device in the ROM Manager app.
- When prompted by the Superuser, choose Grant.
- Wait, until you receive confirmation. After confirmation, you now have a custom recovery image.
Install the Custom ROM
You are now ready to install the custom ROM of your choice. Many people only take the necessary steps to install a custom ROM, when they have a ROM in mind to install. However, if you need a ROM to install do a Google search for “custom ROMs for [insert the name of your Android device]”.
- Download the custom ROM to your computer.
- Connect your Android device to your computer via USB.
- Move the ROM .zip file from your computer to the device’s SD card. Most ROMs come in a .zip file. Leave the file zipped. Do not extract it.
- Remove your Android device from the computer.
- Launch the ROM Manager app.
- Choose Reboot into Recovery, and the device will reboot.
- The device will launch in recovery mode. Navigate recovery mode using the volume and power buttons. Choose Backup and Recovery.
- Choose Wipe Data / Factory Reset.
- Choose “Flash .zip from SD card” and “Choose .zip from SD card”.
- Select to loaded .zip file ROM and confirm.
- Choose “Reboot System Now” to finalize the installation.