Keyboard shortcuts on any operating system are very helpful for allowing users to more quickly manipulate the OS, program, or app they are using. Most computer professionals use their mouse at a minimum. These experts know it is much more efficient to develop the muscle memory of using keyboard shortcuts. Software and app experts will oftentimes use the keyboard and mouse in conjunction with each other like a perfectly orchestrated ballet of mouse clicks and keyboard strokes.
Here are 6 simple Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts to help anyone become a little bit more efficient and skilled, when the sit down to their computer.
- Windows key + C – This shortcut allows for quick access to the Charms bar. The Charms bar contains elements related to sharing, settings, and searching.
- Windows Key + Tab – This shortcut displays the thumbnail list of open applications.
- Windows Key + Pause – This keyboard shortcut takes a user directly into the dialog box for System Properties.
- Windows Key + I – Use this keyboard shortcut to quickly jump into your system settings, while bypassing the Charms bar. This is also the quickest way to locate the Sleep, Restart, and Shut Down options, which many Windows 8 users feel are not very easy to find.
- Windows Key + X – One of the more difficult sections of your computer to find with a mouse is the Admin Menu. This shortcut takes you directly to the Admin Menu.
- Windows Key + L – Use this shortcut to easily change users or lock your screen.
These are 6 examples to demonstrate how using Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts can make you more efficient with your computer. These shortcuts can also make you look like you know what you are doing when you sit down to your computer.